Get those idiots off my internet
28 Jan 2004
Okay, tell me if you see what is wrong with this scenario:
- Alice's computer is infected with the
Novarg (Mydoom) worm.
- Alice has some HTML on her computer that includes Bob's and Charlie's email addresses.
- Novarg finds those addresses, and send itself to Bob, but uses Charlie's address in the
From: field. That is, the
From: address is spoofed.
- The oh-so-smart people at Bob's company have installed anti-virus filters on their
- These filters detect the Novarg virus in the email sent from Alice's computer (which appears to be from Charlie).
- It is well known that the Novarg virus spoofs the
- These filters send a 'bounce' email back to the
spoofed sender telling them the email they just sent contained Novarg.
- Charlie gets this stupid bounce message (infact, he eventually gets hundreds of them);
not just because Alice has a virus, but because of the stupid email filters at Bob's company.
Now, listen up all you oh-so-smart email administrators, and all you oh-so-smart anti-virus programmers.
GET OFF MY INTERNET!